Wednesday, November 21, 2007

ZENTAI HARUKANI JINAI O IZU



"The whole body is out by far of dust."


Despite feeling a tad rough this morning -- as a result of unwholesome conduct committed by me, stemming from greed, anger and delusion, and performed with body, mouth and mind, all of which I now confess and regret -- I shall press on regardless.

In this introductory section of his Rules of Sitting-Zen for All, Master Dogen is still expressing his great realization that there is nothing for us to do, because the right thing does itself, the truth is inherent in us and our surroundings, Time's Arrow is already pointing everything in the right direction. Originally, all is whole.

The very word ZAZEN, sitting-zen, is just an expression of this great realization.

My first contact with Gudo Nishijima was as a result of me finding in a bookshop in Okinawa his book "How to Practise Zazen." Presumably it was because Gudo was not sufficiently versed in the use of the hyphen in English, because he didn't realize that he could use a hyphen to make sitting-zen into one word, that he left the word Zazen untranslated. Rather than go down the palpably false path of separating sitting-zen into "seated meditation" or some such travesty, Gudo followed the Olde English principle of If in doubt, do nowt. He left ZAZEN as Zazen. The person whose job it was to translate ZAZEN as sitting-zen, or sitting-dhyana, was me. But I didn't do it. I blew it.

It matters a lot, because, in the absence of sitting-zen or sitting-dhyana, people have started to use "seated meditation," which fosters a misconception about what sitting-zen is. Either that or they go on about practising ZAZEN, thereby dumping sitting-zen in the skip labelled "mystifying Japanese words," alongside not only traditional terms like JUKAI (receiving the precepts), ANGO (retreat), and HOSSU (whisk), but also spurious innovations like KYOSAKU (stick for whacking people on the shoulder) and SESSHIN (intensive practice period). People seem to like using those Japanese terms as if the Japanese terminology lent credibility to their practice. When I see that tendency I feel angry with myself. Because that tendency also exists in me, I remained blind to the fact that my single most important job as a translator was to translate ZAZEN as sitting-zen or sitting-dhyana. But I didn't do it. I blew it.

The sitting-zen of Master Dogen was never intended to be unwholesome. But "seated meditation" definitely tends towards the unwholesome.

To sit is the Buddha-Dharma and the Buddha-Dharma is to sit. To sit is wholesome.

To practice seated meditation is not wholesome. To practice seated meditation does not accord with the truth that the whole body is out by far of dust.

Similarly, to practice SHIKAN-TAZA is not necessarily wholesome. SHIKAN-TAZA means just sitting. Just sitting just means to sit. But we tend not to understand it like that. We don't just sit, in a wholesome manner. We conceive of something called SHIKAN-TAZA, involving pulling the chin into the neck et cetera, and we practice it willfully. We turn SHIKAN-TAZA into an end, and we practice endgaining, which tends not to be wholesome.

Endgaining is not necessarily unwholesome. When buddha goes directly for an end, no harmful side effects are generated in the process.

But if our underlying conceptions are false and if the vestibular functioning which is the foundation stone of human living is imperfect, then endgaining results in unwholesome conduct -- as a result of which, after a time lag in the short, medium, or very long term, a person is liable to wake up feeling rough and thereupon to lumber wearily towards his sitting-cushion, sadly lacking in the exuberance department.

5 Comments:

Blogger gniz said...

Mike, what do you think happens to people who just start sitting on their own (as i did) without someone like Gudo to correct their posture or make them pull their chin in and begin fixing?

12:35 PM  
Blogger Mike Cross said...

Hi Aaron,

As long as you haven't got any wrong conception, or any agenda hidden from yourself, or any unwholesome habits, and as long as your sensory processing ability is perfect, you should be fine.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Mike Cross said...

The Abbot of a great temple is talking informally with the Head Monk.

"My friend, today I was struck afresh by how strong my tendency is to deceive myself, to think that maybe I understand the Buddha's teaching, when really what do I know? I only know my own wrongness. Other than that, I know nothing. In truth, I am nobody, going I know not where."

So saying, the Abbot burns incense, prostrates himself before the Buddha-image, and recites:
GA SHAKU SHO ZO SHO-AKUGYO
KAI YU MUSHI DON-JIN-CHI
JU SHIN-KU-I SHI SHOSHO
ISSAI GA KON KAI SANGE
"The wrongs I have committed
All stemmed, since times without beginning, from greed, anger and delusion.
The were committed with body, mouth, and mind.
I now confess and repent them all."

Deeply impressed by the Abbot's humility, the Head Monk confides:

"I too, without reason, tend to give myself the airs of one who knows. But truly, I too am nobody."

So saying, the Head Monk performs prostrations, confesses, comes before the Abbot and bows deeply.

Then a temple labourer who has been quietly witnessing the scene sidles up and says:

"Masters! My past lives took me so far from the Buddha's teaching that it is truly a miracle that I am here today at all. I am not worthy to sit at this temple"

So saying, the labourer walks up to the Buddha image and he too proceeds to burn incense, perform prostrations, and recite the verse of confession.

The Abbot raises an eyebrow and whispers to the Head Monk, "Well, really! Who does he think he is?"

1:21 PM  
Blogger gniz said...

Mike, I think i probably have some pretty unwholesome habits, flawed sensory perception, and weird agenda.

But i was wondering, since you spend a lot of time on pointing out the tendency to fix, etc. Does that fixing happen because of someone like Gudo telling you (or me) to fix, or is it simply that fixing is what all of us do from time to time?

1:37 PM  
Blogger Mike Cross said...

Hi Aaron,

Gudo never told me to fix -- he told me the opposite, to live freely, and at the same time he gave me an example of a certain quality of freedom in his own everyday life -- freedom from worrying about good and bad. Philosophically, he emphasized the philosophy of action, which meant freedom from idealistic and materialistic thoughts and attachments.

But with his hands, Gudo conveyed the idea to me that I should pull my whole neck and chin, as one piece, backwards into a position that he conceived as the right position.

And yes, fixing is what all of us tend to do, almost all of the time. And the root of that tendency, deep inside each of us, might have something to do with fear.

Thanks for your question.

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home